Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Men of Honor reviewed at That's All She Read

http://allsheread.blogspot.com/2010/10/men-of-honor-by-m-kei.html

I am delighted to report that Nan Hawthorne has posted a review of Men of Honor, the second book in the Pirates of the Narrow Seas series at her blog:

"There is no question this is an exciting adventure. If a Spanish galleon is not firing on them, runaway carts are about to crush them, or someone has called someone else out for a duel. The Spanish send flaming ships to destroy a harbor, and Captain Tangle must follow another into a grotto and wage a gun battle within it." -- Nan Hawthorne, That's All She Read

I confess, book 2, Men of Honor, is my favorite of the three so far. I like them all, but writing this one was sheer fun. There was a certain amount of torture in writing the first one, but for this book I knew who my characters were and what they were up to. Of the three it most closely resembles the old-fashioned swashbucklers I loved when I was a child.

I have just finished listening Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood on my new Kindle -- it was Errol Flynn's depiction of that hero which firmly imprinted itself in my twelve-year-old brain as what a hero ought to be. I was rather chagrined to realize that I had named my hero 'Peter' -- and Captain Blood's Christian name is also 'Peter.' Peter Thorton's nemesis is Captain Bishop -- and Peter Blood's nemesis is Colonel Bishop. Both details I had forgotten long ago, but they must have been embedded in the fabric of my brain. Dare I mention more? "M. Kei" is a pen name, but in real life my middle name is 'Rafael.' Kismet, enit.

I do hope the rest of you have as much fun reading it as I had writing it.

~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment