Sunday, August 8, 2010

Slow Motion : The Log of a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack (Poetry)

Although this blog is dedicated to my series, Pirates of the Narrow Seas, gay fiction set in the Age of Sail, as mentioned, I have been crewing aboard historic wooden sailing vessels for some years now. I served my apprenticeship aboard a skipjack, and since I am a poet, I kept a log of several trips aboard that vessel in the form of short poetry. I published it as Slow Motion : The Log of a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack . I just discovered it has been listed as 'Recommended Reading' by the Chesapeake Bay Program http://www.chesapeakebay.net/suggestedreading.aspx?menuitem=16529.

"The Chesapeake Bay Program is a unique regional partnership that has led and directed the restoration of the Chesapeake Bay since 1983. The Chesapeake Bay Program partners include the states of Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia; the District of Columbia; the Chesapeake Bay Commission, a tri-state legislative body; the Environmental Protection Agency, representing the federal government; and participating citizen advisory groups. For more, visit our overview of the Chesapeake Bay Program." --from 'About Us'

It's gratifying that the governments of the Chesapeake Bay region consider Slow Motion to be a significant work of literature up the topics of the Chesapeake Bay's boats! Slow Motion can be read free online at http://www.scribd.com/doc/25945756/Slow-Motion-Scribd-com-Edition.

In related news, poems from my first collection, Heron Sea, Short Poems of the Chesapeake Bay, have been selected by musician Erik Spangler for his upcoming composition, "Watershed Sound Poem." I don't know when the new work will be released, but I'm pleased to be included among the various Chesapeake Bay sounds, traditional music, and original composition that will make up the work. Erik Spangler's website is

Enjoy!

~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment